Board of Trustees
Thirteen individuals form the KAL Board of Trustees. The Trustees bring with them an impressive range of experience and knowledge from a variety of sectors, including sport and leisure, business, education, human resources and healthcare.
Our Trustees include David Heddon - Chair of the Board, David Smith – Company Secretary, John Briggs, Melanie Brook, Bruce Deadman, Satnam Khela, Julie Muscroft, Cllr Amanda Stubley, Dawn Stephenson, Hugh Goulbourne, Derek Thomson and Andrew Kempley and Councillor Jim Dodds. For a short biog about our Trustees please click here.
The Board have many responsibilities including:
- To agree and work towards KAL's Vision of "more people, more active, more often"
Working with the Chief Executive and the Strategic Management Team, make strategic policy and planning decisions
- Developing effective policies for KAL, that reflect current good practice
- To approve and monitor KAL's various activities and initiatives
- Ensuring adequate financial resources are available
- Providing effective strategic governance of the Trust, including proactive risk management
- Acting as strong advocates for KAL, positively promoting the work of the Trust wherever possible
- Recruiting new Trustees where necessary and ensuring that they are properly inducted into their role
- Responsibility for ensuring that KAL operates in an environment where effective health & safety management is a priority
- Selecting a Chief Executive where necessary and objectively reviewing their performance on a regular basis
- Ensuring that KAL operates as a responsible and good employer
- Understanding the relationship between the KAL Board and the staff of the Trust and their respective roles.
The KAL Board meets every two months.
A number of Board sub groups are also in place, to consider key aspects of the Trust, as follows:
- KAL Audit Committee
- KAL Health & Safety Sub Group
- KAL People First Sub Group
- KAL Strategic Development Sub Group
Kirklees Active Leisure Trading Limited (a separate company, established as a trading subsidiary responsible for the more commercial aspects of KAL's operation)